By Dr. Ayotunde Adeyeri, Medical Director
“Do I really need to take all these vitamins?
Great question and the answer is simple:
Absolutely without question, 100 percent, definitively–YES.
Supplementing your bariatric nutrition program with prescribed vitamins and minerals is essential to keeping you strong, energized, mentally sharp and performing optimally.
Three Key Motivators for Taking Your Vitamins
- · Vitamin supplements replace the reduced volume of food you now consume
- · They help prevent deficiencies risk since your bariatric procedure
- · They help to resolve nutritional deficiencies
The most common types of supplements taken after surgery are multivitamins, calcium, B12 and iron.
I also prescribe the multivitamin Ferocon for patients to take daily.
Failure to take prescribed post-op vitamins can result in severe dental issues, osteoporosis, neurological issues and damage to key organs including the heart, kidneys and liver.
Five Do’s and Don’ts of Bariatric Vitamins
Since you have gone to the effort and expense of taking these supplements, be sure to reap the optimal benefits of each pill:
1. DO NOT take gummy type vitamins – they are not nutritionally sufficient after weight loss surgery.
2. Carefully read and compare the Supplement Facts labels on the back of the bottle carefully—not all multivitamins are created equal.
3. Label each bottle with the ideal time you should take it, with water, before a meal, etc.
4. When discussing vitamins with any doctor or healthcare provider, restate any prescription or even over-the-counter medications you may be using as well.
5. Establish a daily time frame when you will take your vitamins—add a reminder to your phone if that helps. Be consistent and consume them about the same time each day.
If you have not had a recent conversation with your bariatric healthcare practitioner about your prescribed vitamins and minerals, discuss it at your upcoming appointment.
Attend Our Free Seminar to Learn More About Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery
Check out our schedule, plan to attend, bring a supportive friend and your questions!
If you prefer, you are welcome to contact our friendly bariatric team at (732) 217-3897 to determine your medical insurance coverage for weight loss surgery and make an appointment for a private consultation.