By Dr. Ayotunde Adeyeri, Medical Director
“Do I really need to take all these vitamins?”
Great question and the answer is simple:
“Absolutely– without question, 100 percent, definitively–YES.”
Supplementing your bariatric nutrition program with prescribed vitamins and minerals is essential to keeping your body strong and energized and your brain healthy and sharp.
Deficiencies can cause various harmful health conditions, including cardiovascular disease, anemia, kidney disease, bone and muscle weakening—even neurological issues. There are three essential reasons your body needs mineral and vitamin supplements after any surgical weight loss:
- Vitamin supplements replace the reduced volume of food you now consume
- They help prevent deficiencies risks since your bariatric procedure
- They help to resolve general nutritional deficiencies
The most common post-op supplements are multivitamins, calcium, B12 and iron. I also prescribe the multivitamin Ferocon to patients for one-week post-op.
Failure to take prescribed post-op vitamins can result in severe dental issues, osteoporosis, neurological issues and damage to key organs, including the heart, kidneys and liver.
Five Do’s and Don’ts of Bariatric Vitamins
Since you have gone to the effort and expense of taking these supplements, be sure to reap the optimal benefits of each pill:
- DO NOT take gummy-type vitamins – they are not nutritionally sufficient after weight loss surgery.
- Carefully read and compare the Supplement Facts labels on the back of the bottle carefully—not all multivitamins are created equal.
- Label each bottle with the ideal time you should take it, with water, before a meal, etc.
- When discussing vitamins with any doctor or healthcare provider, restate any prescription or over-the-counter medications you may be taking.
- Establish a daily time frame for taking your vitamins—add a reminder to your phone, if needed. Be consistent and consume them at about the same time each day.
These essential vitamins and minerals make up for the smaller volume of food you eat. Take them every day, without fail. Here’s to a more healthy and happy lifestyle, today and every day.
Considering Weight Loss Surgery?
We’d love to help you learn more and make the right decision for you. Start by perusing this website, learn more about the different surgical weight loss procedures, hear from our patients and call 732-217-3897 for a prompt consultation with me. Our team of highly experienced weight loss surgery specialists focuses on patient care and satisfaction from the very first appointment, which we will confirm within the next two weeks.
No more waiting–let’s get started! I look forward to meeting and welcoming you to our Sterling Surgicare family soon!