By Ayotunde Adeyeri, MD, FASMBS, Medical Director, Institute for Weight Loss
Embarking on a weight loss surgery journey is a significant step towards a healthier, more vibrant life. But it’s not always an easy road. Like any important transformation, you will encounter some rough patches. Staying positive, determined and hopeful during difficult times requires extra effort. I’ve outlined six surprisingly simple tools to help you navigate and successfully move past the challenging periods.
- Build a Support System: Share your journey with the right friends and family who truly want you to be successful. Lean on your in-person and online Bariatric Support Group leaders and fellow members to voice your issues and be open to advice and wisdom.
- Set Realistic Goals: Establish achievable short-term and long-term goals. Realistic expectations will prevent unnecessary frustration and disappointment. Adjust your recipe for success as needed but continue to challenge yourself once you are back on track.
- Stay Active and Socially Engaged: Regular exercise supports weight loss and maintenance and releases endorphins that can quickly improve your mood and emotional well-being. Another valuable mood enhancer is working out with friends or taking a group exercise class to stay socially connected. People can lift other people.
- Drill Down on Self-Care: Schedule healthcare maintenance appointments to prioritize your holistic health–reserve time to practice activities that reduce stress and increase well-being. Treat yourself to a fresh haircut or massage. You deserve it!
- Educate Yourself: Continue to educate yourself about nutrition, exercise and tools to transition to mentally and physically healthy lifestyle choices. Create your customized road map for health and weight management success using tools that resonate with you.
- Celebrate Non-Scale Victories: Recognize the positive changes beyond the scale—more energy, less snoring (better sleep), enhanced mobility, and a boost in confidence.
Remember, the journey after weight loss surgery is a transformation of your mind and body. By implementing these tools, you will have a roadmap that keeps you on course and supports your needs now and in the future.
Is weight loss surgery in your future in 2024?
Preparing for surgical weight loss takes some time–why wait until January to learn more, meet with a bariatric surgeon to discuss your weight loss goals and start the insurance approval process? Call our team of friendly and respectful weight loss surgery experts at 732-217-3897 to reserve your private consultation with me before the end of the year. In the meantime, log-in or attend one of our free Bariatric Information seminars to learn more and ask questions https://sterlingsurgicare.com/bariatric-seminars/